Tuesday 9 June 2015

What do you call a fear of washing machines?



So in the middle of last week I did my first clothes wash since beginning the clothes off my back challenge. And then proceeded to experience nail biting anxiety for the duration of the wash.


My mum was really good at preparing us for the world, by the time we left home we could all cook at least 4 meals (tuna pasta bake, spaghetti carbonara, shepherd’s pie, toad in the hole), we could change a fuse, iron and put on a wash – we knew (and largely ignored) the importance of living within our means and putting something away for a rainy day. We were essentially pretty well rounded human beings.


And then we left the sphere of her influence and it all went wrong. I’m sure during the next 6 years of living in shared houses I must have done some washing, and at least some of it must have been successful as I always had enough viable clothes to convincingly cover my bedroom floor, but somehow I appear to have lost the knack.


As the size of my wardrobe got increasingly out of control I began to see the washing machine like the hand of god. Yes many jumpers, dresses and skirts did not survive it’s harsh judgement, but I appreciated it’s role in keeping the overcrowded population in my wardrobe down.


So now – 17 years after leaving home I put on the first wash where I genuinely needed everything to survive. 10 items, 10days into the challenge is simply far more than I can afford to lose!


Thankfully on a 30% wool wash everything came out clean and approximately the size and shape it went in.

But this did make me wonder – what is the real cost, physically and environmentally of all those clothes my carelessness ruined? How much good could have been done with the money I saved if had less clothes and they lasted longer? I can’t take back 17 years of waste.But I can hope that this year shows me a new respect for the clothes I do own that lasts a lifetime.Too much to hope for? 

I hope not but if so at least we're raising money for a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment