Tuesday 19 May 2015

What doesn't a capsule wardobe look like?

This:



Nope that's not all of it - that didn't even fill 1/8 of one of the 4 vacume packs I'm storing stuff in before I sell it.

I did a little audit of what I own before I started packing things away - I didn't include any clothes in the wash, or in the attic or in the chests on top of my wardobe and in the spare room. This is just the stuff I could access easily on the Saturday afternoon I was trying to pack things up.

Here's what I own:

25 t-shirts
20 blouses
6 shirts
5 pairs of jeans
4 pairs of trousers
4 pairs of shorts
15 skirts
26 jumpers
73 dresses
20 cardigans
9 jackets
11 coats
24 pairs of shoes
14 scarves
6 pairs of gloves
5 hats

267 items of clothing before I even go into my (large and overflowing) linen bin.

Surely this is not normal. Particularly when you consider how suprised I was a how low that figure was (then I remembered taking 3 binbags of clothes to the charity shop in February).

I officially have a problem. And as I was vacuum packing up the first batch of clothes I began to feel really anxious. How much of my personality is wrapped up in all these lovely bright items of clothing - will I lose the creative side of my personality? Will people judge me for wearing the same clothes over and over again? Am I going to make myself miserable surviving on 13% of my current wardrobe for the whole year?

Honestly I don't know. But here is what I do know.

Many of the families my charity support don't have the luxury of choosing to do without and the idea of it being a challenge to wear less is laughable when you start to consider poverty on a global scale. So really I'm just going to have to grow up and deal with it.

Because if not having exactly the right thing to wear to that meeting/ lunch/wedding is really the biggest thing I have to worry about this year then really - lets face it I'm blessed. 

 And if you worry about this stuff too - probably so are you. Why not donate what you were about to spend on that top you aren't really sure you'll wear to Contact a Family - you can do so through my just giving page here


No comments:

Post a Comment